October 16, 1864
Federal expedition from City Point into Surry County, VA, as the Federals traveled every main and by road between the Blackwater and James Rivers, below Bacon Castle and City Point, (now called Hopewell) visiting every residence, capturing all the citizens, negroes, and stock available. Even though there is corn in the fields and potatoes in the ground, this area is becoming barren of any livestock. 10/16-18/1864.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- George S. Gove Letter: October 16, 1864
- LT: October 16, 1864 Luke Ostrye
- NP: October 19, 1864 Richmond Examiner: The War News, October 15-18
- NP: October 22, 1864 Philadelphia Inquirer: Army of the Potomac, October 16, 19-20
- NP: October 25, 1945 Baldwinsville NY Messenger: 185th New York at Petersburg, Part 2
What are your Top 10 Gettysburg Books? See what a panel of bloggers said recently.