March 29, 1865
The Appomattox (Virginia) Campaign, as Lieut. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, after conferring with the President, begins the final assault on the Confederate lines at Petersburg, VA. 3/29-4/9/1865.
Engagement at Lewis Farm near Gravelly Run, VA, as Gen. Robert E. Lee, CSA, sends Maj. Gens. Fitzhugh Lee and George Pickett, CSA, to repel the Federal attack, the Richmond, VA, Campaign.
Skirmish at the junction of the Quaker and Boydton Roads, VA, as Maj. Gens. George Pickett and Fitzhugh Lee, CSA, fend off Lieut. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant’s, USA, steady advance, the Richmond, VA, Campaign.
Skirmish on the Vaughan Road, near Hatcher’s Run, VA, the Richmond, VA, Campaign.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- Actions Around Petersburg Wikipedia Map: March 29-April 1, 1865
- The Battle of Quaker Road NPS Map: Prelude
- The Battle of Quaker Road NPS Map: March 29, 1865
- The Battle of Quaker Road NPS Map: Aftermath
- Charge! Issue 13, Page 16: Lewis’s Farm (Quaker Road) by Christopher Maes
- The Battle of Quaker Road Christopher Maes Charge! Map, March 29, 1865
- The Battle of Lewis’s Farm: March 29, 1865
- The Last Campaign of the War: Albert Stickney’s Unpublished Five Forks Manuscript, Chapter 1
- Position of the Fifth Corps on the Night of March 29, 1865 (Official Records)
- MHSM Papers V6: Operations of the Fifth Corps on the Left, March 29 to Nightfall March 31, 1865: Gravelly Run
Check out TOCWOC – A Civil War Blog for more great Civil War content!
What are your Top 10 Gettysburg Books? See what a panel of bloggers said recently.
Want to read some interesting Civil War content from amateurs and pros alike? Check out the Top 10 Civil War Blogs and Top 10 Civil War Blogs: 11-20.