October 28, 1864
The engagement at Boydton Plank Road or Hatcher’s Run, the Richmond, VA, Campaign. 10/27-28/1864.
The engagement at Fair Oaks and Darbytown Road, the Richmond, VA, Campaign, as Lieut. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, USA, attempts to move on Petersburg, VA, before winter, but to no avail as Maj. Gens. Henry Heth and William Mahone, CSA, repel Maj. Gens. Winfield Scott Hancock and Gouverneur K. Warren, USA. (The final) Winter is fast approaching. 10/27-28/1864.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- Affair of the Williamsburg Road or Fair Oaks No. 2, Oct. 26-27-28, 1864
- BEARSS MAP: Battle of Boydton Plank Road, October 27-28, 1864 TOPO
- BEARSS MAP: Battle of Boydton Plank Road, October 28, 1864 Map 6
- CT AG 64-65: Report of Lieutenant Colonel James F. Brown, 21st Connecticut, of operations September 3, 1864 to April 10, 1865
- Henry F. Charles Memoirs: The Battle of Boydton Plank Road – October 28, 1864
- LT: October 28, 1864 Delavan Bates (30th United States Colored Troops)
- LT: October 28, 1864 Theodore Lyman
- MHSM Papers V5: The Expedition to the Boydton Plank Road, October, 1864 by Brevet Brigadier-General Francis A. Walker
- NP: November 17, 1864 Windham County Transcript: From the Twenty-Ninth (CT) Regiment
- NP: September 15, 1897 Anderson (SC) Intelligencer: Butler’s SC Cavalry at the Siege of Petersburg
- NP: August 11, 1902 New Orleans Times-Picayune: Donaldsonville Cannoniers at the Siege of Petersburg, Part 9
- NP: October 25, 1945 Baldwinsville NY Messenger: 185th New York at Petersburg, Part 2
- NP: March 26, 1953 Sandy Creek (NY) News: Thomas Moore (96th NY) at the Siege of Petersburg, Part 3
- NP: October 28, 1964 Petersburg Progress-Index: Siege Centennial, Part 32: “The Inequality Is Too Great”
- NT: April 15, 1882 National Tribune: An Incident at Hatcher’s Run
- NT: November 10, 1898 National Tribune: The Pennsylvania Reserves from Cold Harbor to Appomattox
- Richmond Must Fall: The Richmond-Petersburg Campaign, October 1864
- The Battle of Boydton Plank Road: October 27-28, 1864
- The Battle of Fair Oaks and Darbytown Road: October 27-28, 1864
What are your Top 10 Gettysburg Books? See what a panel of bloggers said recently.