October 2, 1864
The Battle of Poplar Spring Church, including combats at Wyatt’s, Peebles’, and Pegram’s Farms, Chappell House, and the Vaughan Road, Richmond, VA, Campaign as Lieut. Gen. A. P. Hill, CSA, beats back the Union offensive. However, the Union lines are extended which further stretches the already thin Rebel lines.
Note: All “Today In The Petersburg Campaign” blog entries are used with permission from Ronald A. Mosocco’s Chronological Tracking of the American Civil War per the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion. Order the book HERE.
Copyright © 1993, 1994 by Ronald A. Mosocco
Mentions of This Date at The Siege of Petersburg Online:
- 150 Years Ago Today: Battle of Peebles Farm: October 2, 1864
- CLARK NC: 11th North Carolina at the Siege of Petersburg
- LT: October 2, 1864 James P. Elliott (1st Connecticut Heavy Artillery)
- LT: October 2, 1864 Theodore Lyman
- LT: October 2, 1864 Spencer G. Welch (13th South Carolina)
- LT: October 6, 1864 Theodore Lyman
- MAP: The Battle of Peebles Farm: October 2, 1864 (Richmond Redeemed, 2nd Ed.)
- NP: October 25, 1945 Baldwinsville NY Messenger: 185th New York at Petersburg, Part 2
- The Battle of Peebles’ Farm: September 30-October 2, 1864
- UPR: Report of Captain John R. Ross, Eighty-fourth Pennsylvania Infantry, of operations September 30-October 5, 1864
What are your Top 10 Gettysburg Books? See what a panel of bloggers said recently.