I noticed Craig Swain has a post up from yesterday (March 6, 2012) discussing the changes to Petersburg National Battlefield since his last visit in November 2008.
Among the highlights:
- The line of cannons outside the main visitor center now have their own concrete mounts (though the trunnions are obstructed, preventing Craig from engaging in his favorite hobby of identifying cannon manufacturers and dates).
- The siege encampment area has been updated with fresh materials
- Tree clearing has opened up previously obscured views on the southern leg of the Eastern portion of the battlefield
- The tour road now gives stompers a great view of the Crater
- You can now see the Union lines from the Crater
As you can see, there are a lot of interesting things going on at Petersburg. Check out Craig’s update (with pictures!).
Check out TOCWOC – A Civil War Blog for more great Civil War content!
What are your Top 10 Gettysburg Books? See what a panel of bloggers said recently.
Want to read some interesting Civil War content from amateurs and pros alike? Check out the Top 10 Civil War Blogs and Top 10 Civil War Blogs: 11-20.
Click here to read more about a chance to win a free book from Earl J. Hess' Civil War field fortifications trilogy. Act soon. Time is running out!